Monday, April 26, 2010

Jerusalem

Tomorrow I begin a new adventure. One that really began over almost exactly a year ago, when I wondered if a study abroad in Jerusalem would be right for me. After thinking and praying about it for a long while, I felt like my answer was no. I accepted that and tried to move on, but I couldn't let the idea go, so I tried thinking and praying about it a trip to Jerusalem again, only from a different angle. I thought maybe I would feel better about going for only two weeks, but that didn't feel right either. After another few weeks passed I tried one last time. I felt good about applying for the study abroad program and so I did. Later, after being accepted, I made the decision to actually go. At the time it seemed so far away, but it snuck up incredibly fast. I leave for the airport in about 7 hours and I still can't believe I'm actually going.

The past few days I have felt really nervous as I think about leaving friends, family, and home for 4 months. But whenever I start feeling sick to my stomach about travelling so far, I just think about this picture, and I feel immediately calm:


I can only imagine that being in the city where Jesus once lived and seeing some of the things He saw will be a life-changing experience. And I will be there in just a couple days.

While I'm gone I'll try to update this regularly, although I can't guarantee my posts will be long or full of pictures. I can say that there is a good chance the number and quality of my posts will correlate positively with the number of comments they receive :). If you need me for anything else, email me at abbycrich@gmail.com. I'd love to hear from you!

4 comments:

Barbara Rich said...

I will be anxious to receive your updates! I'm sure this will be a great summer for you.

Fife Family said...

I'm so excited for you, I'm sure your summer will be filled with amazing experiences (that I'll want to hear all about)!

Stefanie Hathaway said...

Abby, I don't comment on your blog much, but I can't NOT on this post. You will LOVE it. Just remember that you get out what you put into experiences. Never miss an opportunity to explore the old city, and cherish your moments at the Garden Tomb and at Gethsemane. You are a lucky girl! Say hi to Omar and Jimmy and Alladin and Tofik for me :)

Adri and Russ Lee said...

I'm so excited for you! I was thinking about you today. You are probably there by now. The center is beautiful. Ah.. I'm jealous that you get to be there!